Communication skills are one of the essential skill for an entrepreneur. Communication skills mean not merely conversing with your subordinates, employee or clients verbally its consist of various different skills sets like the understanding body language of people, being an active listener, having excellent writing skills, speaking, presentation and networking skills. Mastering these skills will not only benefit your entrepreneurial career but also boost your confidence and will open various opportunities for you.
Here is the list of communication skills you must master:
1. Understanding Body Language:
“If language was given to men to conceal their though then gesture’s purpose was to disclose them.” – John Naiper
It is rightly said by John Naiper that your body is constantly throwing silent message which is communicated through your body movements, facial expression, voice tone and loudness. As an entrepreneur, you have to be sure that correct messages are sent verbally or non-verbally during clients meetings or during the day to day activities while interacting with your employees. Hence as an entrepreneur, it’s essential for you to master the understanding of body language.,
These are the couple of things our body language communicates:
- Postures: Postures are important to know individuals emotions attitudes and intentions.
- Listening or pretending: Listening and pretending to listen will help to participate in the conversation.
- Keeping your voice tone low: Keeping your voice tone low helps you to be more authoritative.
- Mirroring expressions or postures: Mirroring expressions or postures helps in building rapport and nurturing feeling which can be used to an agreement.
- Shaking hand: Shaking hand helps to connect instantly with anyone as touch is most primitive and most powerful non-verbal tool.
- Removing barriers: Removing barriers physical barriers helps to encourage collaboration.
2. Be an active listener:
Research suggests that during the 70 to 80 percent of our waking hours that we spend communicating, we write nine percent of the time, we read 16 percent, speak 30 percent and listen to 45 percent of the time.
Though we listen most of the time all of us are not good at listening because most of the time we listen to respond rather than understanding what speaker is trying to convey.
Listen is one the important communication skills every entrepreneur must master as of how well you listen has the major impact on your job effectiveness and on the quality of relationship with others.
As per the study conducted at George Washington University showed that listening can influence up to 40 percent of a leader’s job performance.
When a leading magazine once asked Virgin Founder Richard Branson what it takes to be a good leader, he said one should be a good listener.
“If you want to stand out as a leader, a good place to begin is by listening,” he said. “Great listeners are often terrific at uncovering and putting in place strategies and plans that have a big impact.”
“If you make listening and observation your occupation, you will gain much more than you can by talk.” – Robert Baden Powell Active listening can help you converse, debate, lead, negotiate and mediate, and it makes you seem more thoughtful, empathetic and invested in the people around you.
These are some of the tips that help improve your listening skills:
- Be Attentive: Focus on what speaker is trying to convey through his speech and body language rather than focusing on what you are going to reply. “ Whatever you focus on is what you get.” -Tony Robbins
- Stay away from distraction: Be it replying to message while conversation or other factors like paying attention to side conversion going on can turn off people.
- Ask effective questions: When we ask questions, we are not only showing that we are listening, but we are also helping the speaker to communicate effectively with us and build a rapport. Asking questions also helps to clarify misconceptions about the topic and helps the true perspective of an author if they are misunderstood.
- Don’t be Judgemental: Everyone has a certain perspective on life maybe it differs from yours. But that does not make their perspective wrong there are many different ways of solving the same problem. Make effort to understand their point of views, this might help you see same thing through completely different perspective and understand what they are truly saying.
3. Writing Skills:
As an entrepreneur in today’s business world most often communication happens in writing form whether you email, write a blog for companies websites. You will write persuasive sales letters and proposals. Writing has become essential to nowadays where content is king.
These couple of things to keep in mind:
- Know Your Audience and message to convey: To communicate effectively, it’s very important to know your audience. Knowing your audience will help to make custom tailored content which will be useful for them. It’s very important to convey the right message.
- Pay attention to names, titles, and gender: It’s very important to pay minute attention to names, genders, and title. As minute mistakes can change the meaning of the whole conversation. It’s important to confirm names (spellings) and job title.
- Organize main points: Organizing main points helps the reader to understand the message just by skimming document without reading it in detail. This is very important as a busy professional will spare time to read in details.
- Proofreading: Proofreading will help you to correct your grammatical, typo error and sentence formation. Which will ensure you that correct message is reached to the readers.
- Call to action: Most business communication is meant to achieve some purpose, so make sure they include a call to action – something that the reader is expected to do.
4. Speaking and Presentation Skills :
As an entrepreneur it’s very important to be able to speak confidently and able to convey your point in presentations. You have to do the presentation for investors, have an effective client meeting or just as motivational meet to boost your employee’s morals. Not everybody is born with public speaking and presentation skills but you can eventually develop it as it is necessary for your successful entrepreneurship career and to seize every opportunity for your business.
These are some tip which will help you to speak confidently in public:
- Know your audience: Knowing audience is very important as it will help you to prepare your speech according to your audience requirement and will help you to determine information details, organization pattern, presentation or add motivational statements.
- Prepare guideline and organize content: After knowing your audience its very important to prepare guidelines for your speech according to requirement. The Guidelines will help you to be on track if get distracted while replying to your audience or get confused.
- Practice, Practice, Practice: Public speaking is not just reciting content you have prepared but to engage your audience. For that its necessary to practice by videotaping yourself or get the friend to critique your performance. This helps you to see yourself from an audience perspective and help you to rectify your flaws which will indirectly boost your confidence.
- Ask for feedback: No matter how good your presentation it’s of no use if target audience doesn’t get your point. So Its necessary to interact with the audience and take their doubts or opinions.
“Networking is an essential part of building wealth.” – -Armstrong Williams
It’s rightly said that network creates net worth. A strong network is like money in the bank. Your network can help you build visibility, connect you with influencers, and open up doors for new opportunities. People that are well network have access to certain things which can be impossible for others. Networking gives you opportunities and grabbing right opportunities which it comes help you get success.
These are some tips which will help you to be good at networking with anyone:
- Make the conversation about them: People like talking about themselves. Complimenting people is one of the easiest ways to start the conversation.
- Keep in touch with them: We usually meet a lot of people in our day to life. It’s of no use if do not take effort in to keep in touch with them. It’s very important to make effort to make wonderful relation with them rather than just saving their contact or emails. This is now easily possible with help of social media. And try to build the life-long friendship with them.